Health Tip: Get Rid of Allergens
-- Allergy symptoms can be caused by many things, commonly pet dander, dust, mold, grasses and trees, and certain foods.
To keep symptoms from airborne allergens at bay, try these suggestions from the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Reduce exposure to pollen by showering, washing your hair, and changing your clothes before going to bed.
- Keep doors and windows shut -- especially on dry, windy days -- and run the air conditioner in your home and car when possible.
- Clean areas prone to mold in your home -- such as shower curtains and bathroom windows -- with bleach. Avoid having plants in the house.
- Keep pet dander at a minimum by bathing your pet frequently, and using an air filter and allergen-resistant bedding.
- Reduce dust by frequently washing bedding, drapes and stuffed animals. Install wood floors instead of carpeting.
Posted: August 2008