Health Tip: Remind Children and Teens of Pedestrian Safety
-- Children and teens may feel like they are invincible, and that they can take care of themselves.
But whether they're walking to school, or hustling to a nearby friend's house, it's important to remind your children about pedestrian safety.
Safe Kids USA offers these suggestions:
- Always look left, right then left again before you cross the street, and pay attention while crossing.
- Walk across an intersection, don't run.
- Follow all traffic signs and signals.
- Walk in the direction against traffic, or on a path or sidewalk.
- Whenever sunlight is dim, carry a flashlight and wear something reflective.
- Never play in a driveway, parking lot or street.
- Always take the same (safest) route to regular destinations. Make sure the route has the fewest intersections.
Posted: May 2011
Recommended for you