Health Tip: Regain Weight the Healthy Way
-- If an illness, surgery or medication has left you needing to regain some weight, experts suggest there's a healthy way to do so.
The American Dietetic Association offers this advice:
- Avoid too much junk food. The empty calories may help you add pounds, but won't benefit you nutritionally.
- If your appetite is lacking, eat five or six small meals a day. Drink fluids before or after meals, rather than during.
- Add healthier calorie-laden condiments and spreads, such as peanut butter or cheese.
- Use milk instead of water to cook oatmeal, and add higher-calorie foods such as honey, nuts, dried fruit, margarine or powdered milk after the oatmeal is cooked.
- Top salads with healthy fats, such as nuts and seeds, olive oil, olives or avocados.
- Add dry milk powder to dishes such as mashed potatoes or casseroles.
- Work with a dietitian to create a healthy eating plan to boost weight.
Posted: June 2011