Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of Falling
-- Elderly people may be at greater risk of falling, but there are things seniors can do to help reduce their risk of taking a spill.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Keep at least one hand free while walking. Use a backpack or fanny pack to carry things when possible.
- While you walk, swing your arms from front to back and carefully lift your feet completely off the ground with each stride.
- Make a wide arc when turning, rather than trying to turn sharply.
- Avoid doing other things while you walk.
- When standing, keep your feet shoulder-width apart; when changing positions, move slowly and pay attention to your movements.
Posted: October 2012
Recommended for you