Health Tip: Recovering From a Tonsillectomy
- After having your tonsils removed (a tonsillectomy), expect your throat to be rather sore for at least a few days.
With that in mind, the Alaska Native Medical Center offers this advice on what to eat and drink just after the surgery:
- Drink a lot of fluids, which will help your throat feel better and keep you hydrated.
- Stick with soft foods that are easy on your throat. Consider foods such as Jello, soup, popsicles, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs.
- Stay away from hard or crunchy foods, such as chips, tacos, pizza or other delicacies with sharp edges.
- Avoid foods that may sting your tender throat, such as orange juice, grapefruit, or tomato-based foods or drinks.
Posted: August 2009