Health Tip: Recognizing Arthritis in the Thumb
-- Arthritis in the thumb can cause pain and discomfort, making everyday activities difficult.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons lists these common symptoms of arthritis in the thumb joint:
- Reduced ability to move the thumb.
- Soreness and swelling at the thumb base.
- Weakness or pain in the thumb, particularly when trying to grasp or pinch objects.
- Pain after moving or using the thumb for a long period.
- A large bump at the site of the thumb joint, or a thumb that looks like the joint is out of place.
Posted: March 2009
Recommended for you