Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Asperger Syndrome
-- Asperger syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder, an umbrella term for a number of related conditions characterized by problems with communicating and language, and with repetitive thoughts and speech.
The U.S. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development says Asperger is thought to be the mildest of these conditions. Symptoms of Asperger may include:
- Being very literal in speaking and understanding.
- Difficulty recognizing and interpreting body language.
- Repeating or obsessing over rituals and routines.
- Problems with motor skills, including clumsiness or lack of coordination.
- Difficulty with social skills, particularly in communicating with others.
- Sensitivity to sounds, lights, textures and tastes.
Posted: May 2011
Recommended for you