Health Tip: Putting Your Child to Bed
-- To help your child get a good night's sleep, it's important to reduce distractions in the bedroom and establish a bedtime routine.
Here are some suggestions, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- Set a regular bed time for your child.
- Have the child start relaxing and doing quiet activities, such as reading or listening to music, about 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Every night, have the child use the bathroom, wash hands and brush teeth to prepare for bed.
- Do something fun but quiet together every night before bed, such as reading a book or telling a story.
- Make sure the room is a comfortable temperature.
- Don't allow a television or video games in the room.
- Encourage your child to stay in bed, and praise him or her for doing so.
Posted: March 2008