Health Tip: Protect Your Muscles
- It's important to stretch and warm up your muscles before exercise.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons lists these common risk factors for muscle strains and injury:
- Tired muscles that have been worked too hard.
- Tight muscles that haven't been properly stretched.
- Weak muscles that haven't been strengthened through training and exercise.
- Muscles that haven't been warmed up before exercise, sports or other activities.
- Muscle groups that work together that don't have properly balanced strength. For example, a stronger hamstring than quadriceps, or vice versa.
Posted: March 2009