Health Tip: Protect Your Heart
-- Coronary artery disease (CAD) occurs when fatty deposits known as plaque build up in the heart's arteries.
Whether you've never had CAD or have been diagnosed with the condition, the University of Maryland Medical Center offers these suggestions:
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet.
- Take medications or supplements exactly as your doctor prescribes them.
- Get regular exercise.
- Ask your doctor how to maintain normal blood pressure, or lower it if it's too high.
- Take a baby aspirin daily, assuming your doctor approves.
- Control health conditions such as kidney disease or diabetes.
Posted: May 2011
Recommended for you