Health Tip: Protect Against Bug Bites
-- Insect bites can cause uncomfortable itching, and may transmit diseases such as West Nile virus.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions to help protect against bug bites:
- Avoid using products with fragrances, including perfumes, hair sprays and scented soaps.
- Keep away from areas that attract insects, such as puddles or blooming flowers.
- Avoid clothing with flower prints and bright colors.
- Use an insect repellent that contains DEET (on children at least 2 months old), but avoid products that combine sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Choose insect repellents that contain 10 percent to 30 percent DEET, or as an alternative, Picaridin.
- Wash off insect repellent when your or your children come back inside.
Posted: July 2011