Health Tip: Preventing Indigestion
-- Indigestion is that uncomfortable feeling that develops when you've eaten too much, or when you've had too much of the wrong foods.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to help ward off indigestion:
- Eat meals slowly. Allow plenty of time, and don't rush.
- Always chew food thoroughly.
- Allow time to digest food. Don't exercise or get too active immediately after you eat.
- Have a calm, relaxing meal, and rest for a few minutes afterward.
- Don't take a painkiller -- such as an aspirin or NSAID -- on an empty stomach.
- If you do get indigestion, see if an antacid provides relief. Stronger over-the-counter medicines also are available for indigestion.
Posted: January 2009