Health Tip: Preventing Athlete's Foot
-- Athlete's foot is a contagious fungal infection that can easily be picked up in public places where people are barefoot, such as gyms, pools and spas. Cracking and itchy feet are common symptoms.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to prevent athlete's foot:
- Completely dry your feet when you get out of the bath, shower or swimming pool.
- If you're at a public shower or pool, don't walk around barefoot.
- Choose shoes made of natural materials. Also look for shoes that allow the feet to breathe.
- Change socks at least once a day.
- Sprinkle anti-fungal powder in your shoes or socks if you are prone to getting athlete's foot.
Posted: January 2009