Health Tip: Prevent Traveler's Diarrhea
-- Traveler's diarrhea is a common complaint among international travelers who drink water and eat foods that harbor unfamiliar germs.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these preventive suggestions:
- Don't drink tap water, brush your teeth with tap water or use ice made from it.
- Drink only bottled water; make sure all package seals are intact.
- If you eat or drink dairy products, make sure they're pasteurized.
- Avoid eating any vegetables and fruits that are uncooked.
- Make sure all meat and fish is thoroughly cooked.
- Never eat food from street vendors.
Posted: May 2010
Recommended for you