Health Tip: Prevent Injuries From Toys
-- Toys may be meant for fun and play, but toys in the wrong little hands can lead to serious injury.
The Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto, Calif., offers these guidelines to help parents choose safe toys:
- Check the packaging for the appropriate age range for the toy, and make sure it applies to your child.
- Allow your child to play with toys only in a safe area -- for instance, away from stairs.
- Participate in your child's play, to supervise and help keep the child safe.
- Keep toys designed for older children away from younger ones.
- Use a small parts tester on toys meant for children younger than age 3. The product checks for any choking hazards.
- Inspect your child's toys for any damage that could injure your child.
- Be aware of any toy recalls.
Posted: January 2010