Health Tip: Prevent Heat-Related Illness
-- As the weather heats up, illnesses ranging from heat exhaustion to heatstroke become more common.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests how to help prevent heat-related medical emergencies:
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothing.
- If working outdoors, take frequent breaks in the shade or indoors.
- When weather is particularly hot or humid, avoid heavy exercise or physical activity.
- Increase your fluid intake.
- Avoid becoming overheated, especially if you're elderly, overweight or taking a medication that affects your body's heat regulation.
- Let your car cool down before you get inside.
Posted: June 2011
Recommended for you