Health Tip: Prevent Back Problems After Pregnancy
- Back pain is a common complaint among new mothers.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions to help prevent back pain among women who recently have given birth:
- As soon as your doctor says it's safe, begin regular exercises and stretches to build muscles in the abdomen and lower back.
- When lifting the baby, keep your arms close to your chest and lift, rather than extending your arms.
- When lifting the baby from the floor, bend at your knees instead of at the waist, and lift with your knees.
- Avoid carrying the baby on your hip.
- Try carrying the baby in a "front pack."
- Take care to avoid back strain when lifting the baby in or out of high chairs, strollers or car seats.
Posted: April 2008