Health Tip: Prevent Back Pain in the Car
-- Traveling long distances in the car can take a toll on your back.
The American Chiropractic Association suggests how to keep back pain at bay during a car trip:
- Adjust your seat so you're sitting comfortably close to the wheel, with your knees just higher than your hips.
- Use a back support.
- Take regular breaks to rest.
- Stretch your toes, leg muscles and shoulders as you drive.
- Keep hands on the steering wheel at the 3:00 and 7:00 positions, alternating occasionally with the 10:00 and 2:00 positions.
- Keep a relaxed grip on the wheel, occasionally tightening, then loosening, your hold.
Posted: May 2011