Health Tip: Preparing Your Child for a Medical Test
-- Medical procedures and tests can be frightening for both parents and children, so it's important that you're both prepared and calm.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions:
- Give your child a detailed, simple and clear explanation of what is going to happen.
- Be specific about which part of the body will be affected, and how it might feel.
- Allow your child to react -- even if it includes anger, screaming or crying -- but encourage communication about what he or she is feeling.
- Have your child practice the position that will be required -- such as lying down, stretching out an arm, or curling up on one side.
- Talk about why the test or procedure is necessary and how it will help your child.
- Let your child make decisions whenever possible, such as the color of the bandage that may be applied.
Posted: June 2009