Health Tip: Preparing for Parenthood
-- Although you can never fully prepare for the experience of caring for a new baby, there are plenty of issues to resolve before baby arrives.
Here are guidelines to help prepare for your newborn, courtesy of the American Pregnancy Association:
- Take parenting classes to help learn basic care, parenting skills and building family relationships.
- Make sure you have the essentials, including a car seat, crib, plenty of diapers, bottles and formula.
- Take a first aid class to learn CPR and other emergency basics.
- Figure out how much maternity or paternity leave you need, complete the paperwork, and settle everything with your job before the baby is born.
- Select a pediatrician, and devise an emergency plan in case of illness.
Posted: March 2008
Recommended for you