Health Tip: Preparing Hot Dogs
-- Hot dogs are an American favorite, but they can make you sick if you let them spoil.
The U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service offers these suggestions for safe storage and handling of hot dogs:
- As soon as possible after purchase, store hot dogs in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Follow the product dates on the package. Eat within two weeks if the package is refrigerated unopened, or within one week once the package is opened.
- Freeze hot dogs for a maximum of two months.
- Hot dogs should never be at room temperature for longer than two hours. If the outside temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, they should be refrigerated within one hour.
- Heat hot dogs until steaming.
Posted: January 2014