Health Tip: Pregnancy Can Lead to Skin and Hair Changes
-- Fluctuations in hormone levels and other factors during pregnancy can lead to changes in a woman's skin and hair.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists offers these examples:
- Darkened areas on the skin, often the face and breasts.
- Ridges in the belly and abdomen called stretch marks.
- Thicker hair, hair growth in new areas, and possible hair loss after delivery.
- Spider veins or varicose veins.
- Itchy red bumps called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP).
Posted: December 2010