Health Tip: Pregnancy Affects the Skin
-- Pregnancy affects much of your body, even your skin.
Here's a list of changes to the skin that can occur while you're pregnant, provided by the American Pregnancy Association:
- Stretch marks -- pink or reddish streaks that can occur on your abdomen or breasts.
- Melasma -- dark spots that can appear on the face, especially the cheeks and forehead. They are caused by a change in hormones, which affect the skin's pigmentation.
- Oily skin on the face, or acne.
- Varicose and spider veins, both caused by increased blood circulation.
- Dry, itchy skin on the belly.
- Darkening of the linea nigra -- a dark line that runs from the belly button to the pubic bone.
- Moles and freckles that turn darker.
- Excess skin that forms beneath the breasts or arms.
Posted: June 2008
Recommended for you