Health Tip: Practice Sledding Safety
-- Sledding down a slippery slope at home or a nearby field is a past-time that makes kids look forward to winter. But thousands are injured each year in sledding accidents.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for safe sledding:
- Make sure children are protected with a properly-fitting helmet.
- Make sure the sled has and a reliable method of steering. Avoid snow disks or toboggans.
- If sledding while it's dark outside, make sure the area is well lit.
- Never sled on a plastic sheet or other material that can be punctured by objects on the ground.
- Wear many layers of clothing while sledding for protection from injury and cold weather.
Posted: January 2012