Health Tip: Postpartum Depression
- Depression that follows the birth of a baby is common, as new moms are overwhelmed by the changes in their bodies and routines.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers this list of reasons for why postpartum depression affects some new mothers:
- New moms can suffer from lack of sleep after the baby's birth, which can lead to fatigue, stress and depression.
- New moms can feel overwhelmed by all of the new things to do, and by other changes in their lives. They may even feel unsure of their parenting skills.
- New moms may set unrealistic expectations for themselves.
- New moms have less time for themselves, with their partners, and less time to do what they want.
Posted: January 2008