Health Tip: Plan Ahead for Healthy Meals
-- Many people have the best intentions when it comes to cooking and eating healthy, but late nights at work and juggling family schedules can make it a challenge.
The American Diabetes Association says you should carefully plan your meals. It offers these suggestions:
- Create a menu for the week ahead.
- Shop for the ingredients in advance. You should never use "not having the time to shop" as an excuse.
- Always keep a healthy supply of ingredients on hand, including olive and vegetable oil, chicken broth, frozen fruits and veggies, seasonings, healthy canned sauces and fish.
- Keep junk food out of the house. Instead, have healthy snacks available to grab when you or family members are hungry.
- Cook enough healthy food for leftovers or additional meals.
- Try not to eat out too often.
Posted: April 2009
Recommended for you