Health Tip: When a Pet Dies
-- The death of a pet is a significant loss to every member of the family, but it can be particularly difficult for young children.
Here are suggestions to help your child deal with the loss of a pet, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- Explain to her that it's normal to feel sadness, anger, frustration and even guilt.
- Let her see that you are sad and upset too, and that it's OK to cry -- don't hide your emotions from her.
- Let her know that it's OK not to want to talk about it at first, but that you can talk openly about it whenever she is ready.
- When she's ready, share happy memories and funny stories about the pet.
- Encourage her to say goodbye, and offer to have a ceremony to remember the pet.
Posted: July 2007