Health Tip: Once Baby Makes Three
-- The arrival of a new baby is an exciting and happy time, but adjusting to a new schedule and lack of sleep can leave parents stressed and anxious.
Here are suggestions to help make the adjustment easier, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Keep an open line of communication with your partner, and choose times when you are both relaxed to discuss what's bothering you.
- When you do have disagreements, stay calm and discuss issues openly without getting angry.
- Find time each day to spend together, to talk or just to enjoy each other's company. Stay awake for an extra 30 minutes after the baby goes to sleep, or grab some time together when the baby takes a nap.
- Be flexible about life, chores and schedules. Don't get upset about small things.
- Take turns with tasks, and show your partner plenty of encouragement and appreciation.
- Be aware of your partner's needs and stress level -- if he or she seems particularly stressed, offer to take on an extra task or chore.
Posted: September 2007