Health Tip: Omega 3s Are Essential Fatty Acids
-- Though the body needs omega 3 fatty acids, it doesn't make them. So you must get them from foods including fish, some plants or nut oils, the University of Maryland Medical Center says.
The center says there's evidence that omega 3s may help people with these health conditions, or people at greater risk of acquiring them:
- High cholesterol.
- High blood pressure.
- Heart disease and stroke.
- Cancer of the colon, breast or prostate.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mental health conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Macular degeneration of the eye.
Posted: November 2010