Health Tip: Drugs That May Lead to Diarrhea
-- Certain medications are more likely than others to aggravate the digestive tract and result in loose stools, the United States National Library of Medicine says.
The agency says they include:
- Antibiotics, which often cause diarrhea because they kill bacteria -- even the good bacteria -- found in the intestines.
- Chemotherapy drugs, used to treat cancer.
- Immune system-suppressing drugs, such as mycophenolate.
- Some herbal teas that contain senna or other substances that are natural laxatives.
- A laxative is meant to relieve constipation. But taking too much of a laxative can lead to problem diarrhea.
Posted: May 2009
Recommended for you