Health Tip: Massage Arthritis Pain
-- Medication can help ease arthritis pain, but a gentle massage can also provide relief.
The Arthritis Foundation has this advice:
- If you start to feel pain or discomfort while massaging the arthritic area, stop right away.
- Avoid massaging any joints that are swollen or very painful.
- Use lotion or massage oil on your skin.
- If you massage using a menthol gel, make sure to wash it all off before you apply any heat to the area. This will help prevent burns.
- If you go to a professional masseuse, make sure he or she has experience in working with people who have arthritis.
Posted: September 2008
Recommended for you