Health Tip: Managing Neck Pain
-- If you've sustained a minor injury to your neck, there are things you can do to get the pain under control.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions:
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- Apply an ice pack for the first two or three days, followed by a few days of applying heat, such as by taking a hot shower or using a heating pad.
- Gently exercise and stretch the neck, with up-and-down and side-to-side motions.
- Have someone lightly rub or massage your neck.
- Use a neck pillow or no pillow at all when you sleep. A firm mattress will help, too.
Posted: January 2009