Health Tip: Making Home Safer for People With Epilepsy
-- If you or a loved one has epilepsy, there are things you can do at home to reduce the risk of an injury during a seizure.
The Epilepsy Foundation offers these suggestions:
- Make sure your home is well carpeted and padded underneath.
- Cover any sharp corners on furniture with padding.
- Always close fireplace screens when the fireplace is lit. People with epilepsy should avoid lighting a fire or carrying lit candles.
- When buying space heaters or any type of iron, look for these and similar appliances with an automatic turn-off function.
- Use chairs that have arms, making a fall less likely.
Posted: December 2009