Health Tip: Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar During Exercise
- Exercise typically will lower blood sugar, since insulin is more effective during exercise. But in people with diabetes, too much of a reduction in blood sugar can be dangerous.
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions for diabetics to maintain healthy blood sugar levels when exercising:
- Check your blood sugar before and after exercise -- and during if you can -- and record your results.
- If you are going to exercise strenuously, make sure you eat a meal first.
- Keep snacks -- especially some with sugar -- on hand when you exercise.
- Talk to your doctor about possibly adjusting your insulin dose for exercise.
- Don't inject insulin into a part of the body that will be strenuously used during exercise, as it will absorb more quickly. For example, if you will run, inject your abdomen instead of your leg.
Posted: April 2008