Health Tip: Living With Multiple Sclerosis
-- Although multiple sclerosis lasts a lifetime, symptoms may come and go.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says it's important to stay as healthy as possible, despite your illness. The academy offers these suggestions:
- Stick to a healthy diet with nutritious foods that are low-fat and fiber-rich.
- With your doctor's approval, exercise regularly. Stretching is an excellent way to manage stiffness and help improve mobility.
- Get plenty of sleep each night, and rest when you need it.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, especially extreme heat. Take care when using hot tubs or saunas.
- Ask family, friends and other loved ones for support and encouragement.
Posted: October 2010