Health Tip: Kicking the Habit
-- Former smokers may tell you that quitting was one of the hardest things they've ever done. The physical and psychological withdrawal can be intense.
If you're thinking of quitting smoking, the U.S. Surgeon General offers these tips to help you handle the cravings:
- Drink lots of liquids, especially water.
- Avoid sugar and fatty foods, and don't skip meals.
- Exercise regularly and moderately.
- Get more sleep.
- Take deep breaths when cravings hit.
- Change your habits. For example, eat breakfast in a different place, or take a different route to work.
- Do something to reduce your stress. Take a hot bath, read a book, or exercise.
Posted: April 2009
Recommended for you