Health Tip: Kick Up Your Feet
-- Varicose veins are swollen, bulging veins -- usually in the legs. They can make standing and other activities painful.
Although not all cases are preventable, the womenshealth.gov Web site suggests how to help thwart varicose veins:
- Apply sunscreen to your skin daily.
- Get regular exercise to help make your legs stronger and improve circulation. Concentrate on activities that benefit the legs.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Don't cross your legs, and elevate your legs when you can.
- Move around frequently, avoiding long periods of sitting or standing.
- Don't wear clothes that are too tight. Also avoid high-heeled shoes.
- Wear elastic support stockings.
- Eat more fiber to help prevent constipation, which can trigger varicose veins. Also, cut back on salt in your diet.
Posted: January 2011
Recommended for you