Health Tip: Keep Your Nails Healthier
-- Your nails may be a good indicator of general health, so it's important to keep them looking good and strong.
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests these tips:
- Make sure nails are always dry and clean, and trimmed properly. Using sharp nail scissors or clippers, cut straight across with slightly rounded tips.
- File nails with an emery board.
- Avoid biting nails or cutting cuticles.
- Treat nails gently and avoid using them as tools.
- Keep toenails trimmed short. For those that are difficult to cut, soak in a warm salt-water solution for 10 minutes.
- See a doctor for treatment of an ingrown toenail. Don't try to dig it out yourself.
- Protect feet in public locker rooms, showers and pools with flip flops or a pair of study, comfortable shoes.
Posted: June 2014