Health Tip: Keep Teen Conflicts Under Control
-- Learning how to deal with conflicts is an important part of maturing, and will help you build healthy relationships throughout your life.
Here, for teens, are suggestions for dealing with conflicts in a healthy way, courtesy of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
- Calm down and stay in control. Use techniques such as counting, breathing, and thinking relaxing thoughts to keep you from losing your temper.
- Figure out what's really upsetting you, and address that issue.
- Deal with the issue in private, and only with the people involved. Don't bring other people into the discussion.
- Listen to the other person talk. Understand their side of the story and their point of view.
- Don't be afraid to compromise, change, say you're sorry, or forgive.
Posted: July 2008