Health Tip: Keep Poisons From Children

-- Poisonous or harmful substances, from medications to cleaning supplies, should be kept safely out of reach from curious children.

Safekids.org offers these suggestions:

  • Make sure dangerous products, including bleach, detergent and other cleaning items, are kept where a child cannot reach them. Under-sink storage is not a safe place.
  • If you do store dangerous products in cabinets that a child can reach, secure them with a safety lock.
  • Many unexpected items, such as makeup, plants, personal care products and art supplies, also can be hazardous and shouldn't be within a child's reach.
  • Make sure all medications are stored out of a child's reach.
  • Inspect your home for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling paint or paint from surfaces that a child could chew.
  • Have the national Poison Help number easily accessible: 1-800-222-1222.

Posted: March 2014


View comments

Hide
(web5)