Health Tip: Keep Kids' Lunches Cool
-- Kids need a healthy lunch to take to school or day camp, but parents must also be wary of food safety concerns when packing lunches.
The American Dietetic Association lists these suggestions to keep kids' lunches safe:
- Keep perishable foods cold with an insulated lunch bag, ice pack or frozen water bottle.
- Pack foods that won't spoil, such as trail mix, peanut butter, individual applesauce packs and more.
- Wash your child's lunch box or bag with warm, soapy water after each use, and clean counters before preparing food.
- If you pack lunch the night before, store perishable foods in the fridge -- it should be below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables, including those with peels.
- Instruct your child to toss any perishable leftover foods; provide non-perishable snacks for later in the day.
- Make sure your child washes hands before each meal and snack.
Posted: July 2011