Health Tip: Jumping Rope for Exercise
-- Jumping rope is no longer just for 6-year-old girls. Experts say it's a great way to exercise your heart, and it can improve eye-hand-foot coordination.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for jump ropers who are just starting out:
- Keep a light grip on the handles.
- Hold your elbows close to your body and keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Keep your knees slightly bent.
- Use your wrist to turn the rope and create a smooth arc in the rope as it swings over your head.
- Maintain good posture with your head up and back straight.
- Don't jump too high. This will help reduce impact on knees and ankles.
Posted: August 2012