Health Tip: Inspect Your Child's Playground
-- Before you turn your child loose at the playground, inspect it to make sure it's safe.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons mentions these features to look for when inspecting a playground:
- A soft, padded surface below the equipment, such as sand, shredded tires, mulch or wood chips.
- Separate "active" and "quiet" locations, for activities such as swinging versus playing in the sand.
- Separate play areas for preschoolers and bigger kids.
- A safe entrance - exit area, away from equipment that's being used.
- Popular areas that are kept separate, to limit crowds.
- Clear sight lines so that parents can easily see across the playground.
Posted: September 2011