Health Tip: If You're a Shy Teen
- Many teens deal with shyness, especially as their bodies change and they begin to feel more self-conscious.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions for overcoming shyness:
- Try being more open around people you already know, and practice conversing, making eye contact and asking questions.
- Smile -- it will help build your confidence.
- Come up with a couple of ways to start a conversation with someone, so that you're prepared in a situation with someone new.
- If you need to make a call, give a speech or have a conversation that you're nervous about, write it down and rehearse it first.
- Try joining groups or clubs where you and other people have similar interests.
- Learn to stand up for yourself, and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.
Posted: December 2007
Recommended for you