Health Tip: If You Have Sinus Problems
- Sinusitis, an inflammation of the sinuses, can lead to a sinus infection.
Knowing what triggers your sinusitis can help you prevent -- or at least prepare -- for the problem. The U.S. National Library of Medicine lists these factors that can cause sinus problems:
- Exposure to air pollution or cigarette smoke.
- Diving or swimming.
- Excessive use of nasal decongestants.
- Exposure to an allergen or another foreign substance that enters the nasal passages.
- Undergoing an abrupt change in altitude, such as when flying.
- Having certain medical conditions, including GERD, pregnancy and asthma.
- Having dental work or suffering a head injury.
Posted: January 2008