Health Tip: If You Have High Cholesterol
-- Too much cholesterol -- a fatty, wax-like substance -- raises your risk of heart disease.
But the problem can be controlled with changes in diet exercise, and if necessary, medication.
The American Heart Association suggests these questions to ask your doctor when discussing treatment for your high cholesterol:
- What are my cholesterol levels, and what's considered a healthy goal?
- How often should I have my cholesterol checked, and how long should it take me to reach a healthy cholesterol level?
- What types of foods should I eat? How does smoking affect my cholesterol?
- Should I lose weight?
- Do I need to exercise more?
- Should I take medication designed to lower my cholesterol?
- How does cholesterol medication work, and are there any side effects I should know about?
Posted: April 2008