Health Tip: If Dementia Causes Sleep Problems
-- Sleep problems are common in people with dementia, but there are things caregivers can do to help their charges get a peaceful night's rest.
The American Academy of Family Physicians mentions these tips to help people with dementia sleep better:
- Create a consistent bedtime routine and morning wake time.
- Create obvious ways to tell the time of day, such as placing clocks in visible areas and opening blinds.
- Limit the amount of caffeine, sugar and junk food in the person's diet.
- Encourage daily exercise early in the day.
- Cut down on napping.
- Create a peaceful bedroom environment.
- Make sure to control any pain.
Posted: November 2012
Recommended for you