Health Tip: Holiday Decorating Safety
- Many people celebrate the holidays with trees, lights, ornaments and other decorations that may pose safety issues.
Here are suggestions to stay safe and festive, courtesy of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Make sure that all lights are working properly, not broken, approved and inspected for safety, and are appropriate for indoor or outdoor use.
- Keep trees away from candles, radiators, and fireplaces.
- Make sure tree decorations -- such as tinsel or icicles -- are made with materials that do not contain lead.
- If children are around, avoid small or breakable ornaments or decorations, and don't display decorations that look like candy.
- When using decorations made of spun glass -- like "angel hair" -- be sure to wear gloves.
- Follow directions when using artificial snow, as the contents can irritate the lungs.
Posted: December 2007