Health Tip: Hit the Slopes With Safety in Mind
-- Testimony to the increasing popularity of skiing is that more than 131,000 skiing-related injuries were counted during a recent 12-month span, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says.
The academy offers these preventive tips for safer skiing:
- Ski with a partner, and stay close enough to keep an eye on each other.
- At the start of the day, take the first few runs slowly to allow your body to warm up.
- Be on the lookout for icy spots and obstacles, such as rocks.
- Only ski on trails that are marked.
- Make sure boots and bindings have been properly adjusted and checked out by an accredited ski shop. Remember to check the bindings yourself before you ski.
- Don't ski when you're tired.
Posted: November 2010