Health Tip: Help Prevent the Spread of Strep Throat
-- Strep throat is a painful bacterial infection that's highly contagious.
The Nemours Foundation suggests these steps to help reduce transmission of strep throat from your child to others:
- Make sure your child finishes the entire prescription of antibiotics.
- Have your child use separate utensils for eating and drinking while sick. Wash them in hot water with dish soap after they're used.
- Don't allow your child to share any linens, drinks or food with others.
- Teach your child to cover the mouth when sneezing or coughing, and to wash hands frequently.
- Throw away your child's toothbrush after antibiotics are completed, and have the child use a new one.
Posted: September 2010